By: Johann Christoph Weigel
Date: 1724 (Published) Nuremberg
Dimensions: 5.75 x 7 inches (14.6 cm x 17.8 cm)
This miniature map of Prussia was done by prolific cartographer Christoph Weigel in 1724. Prussia was created by the unification of the Duchy of Prussia and the Margraviate of Brandenburg. The House of Hohenzollern ruled Prussia and with its exceptionally well-organized and effective military forces, and thus was able to expand its territories. Königsberg served as the capital until 1701.
The people who came to be known as Prussians (Preussen in German) came from the southeastern coast of the Baltic and were Slavs, related to both the Lithuanians and Latvians were forcibly Christianised in the thirteenth century by Teutonic Knights who had diverted from their primary goal, the Holy Land. These Slavs worked alongside German peasants were brought in to develop and husband vast agricultural areas. As a result, by 1350 the majority of the population was German. Germans had conquered the Brandenburg area to the west, and the margraves, or marcher lords of Brandenburg became Electors of the Holy Roman Empire. Both Brandenburg and East Prussia fell under control of the Hohenzollern family, who mastered the Brandenburg hereditary nobility, the Junkers, and began the long march to power in Europe which was to end with the First World War and the abdication of the Kaiser in 1918. Prussia, with its capital first in Königsberg and from 1701 in Berlin, shaped the history of Germany.
Johann Christoph Weigel was an erudite scholar and prolific mapmaker. Born in 1654, Weigel created engravings covering a wide range of topics and themes along with a large number of superb maps such as this map of Prussia. The map is embellished by a decorative cartouche featuring frigates on the Baltic under full sail, and Teutonic knights on either side of the Prussian crown.
Condition: This map with original color is in A condition. Toning is light and even.
1932 S. Halsted St. #200 Chicago, IL 60608 | P: (312) 496 - 3622