By: J. Henshall
Date: 1840 (Published) London
Dimensions: 13 x 15 inches (33 cm x 38)
This scarce map of Parma by J. Henshall is an 1840 first edition published by the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. This society was founded by British statesman (Lord Chancellor) Henry Broughman for the purpose of making educational materials available to those of the rapidly expanding reading public who had limited financial means and for those who preferred self-education.
The materials were available to large swathes of the public at prices more modest than those for more grandiose and elaborate maps of the day. The beautiful ancient Italian city of Parma has been inhabited for thousands of years, and was formally incorporated as a city by the Etruscans. Parma is known for its prosciutto, cheeses, architecture, music and magnificent surrounding countryside. It is home to the University of Parma, one of the oldest universities in the world.
As are so many cities built on rivers, Parma is divided into two parts by the stream of the same name. The fortified city is rendered in detail, including individual streets, important buildings, monuments, gates, bridges and parks. The Parma River and its channels are delineated. The magnificent Castello (Citadel) and the Palazzo Giardino with its magnificent gardens are also depicted. The map is embellished along the bottom by a beautiful panoramic view of the city as seen from the Gate of San Barnaba.
Condition: This map is in A condition. There is some chipping of the outer edges but not approaching the image. Very light toning along the bottom border.
1932 S. Halsted St. #200 Chicago, IL 60608 | P: (312) 496 - 3622