By: Pierre Mortier
Date: 1696 (Published) Amsterdam
Dimensions: 22.25 x 18.25 inches (56.5 cm x 46.4 cm)
This is an authentic, antique map of Carolina during from the early colonial period. The map was published by Pierre Mortier out of Amsterdam circa 1696. This is a first state example, distinguished by its lack of a plate number.
This is one of the earliest obtainable maps of the Carolina region to depict any significant settlement. The map was based upon and is virtually identical to Thorton, Morden, & Lea’s map of the area from 1685, which is regarded as highly unobtainable. This map names and distinguishes all of the original counties, locates numerous family estates and plantations, and includes an insert of Charleston (Charles Towne). The Appalachian Mountains are noted in the northwest, forests fill in some of the empty spaces, and a number of rivers are delineated inland to the extent of what was known or assumed. Along the coast, depth soundings and shallow banks add navigational detail to the map.
One interesting area worth noting is the coastal region labeled “Charles Ville ou Charles Towne.” This notation refers to a twice failed settlement established a few years prior to Charleston (founded in 1669) and abandoned shortly after. The settlement was first established by New Englanders that had entered Cape Fear and purchased a tract of land from the local Native Americans. Before the colony was able to prosper, the natives began to attack them and the settlement was abandoned less than three months after the initial agreement. In 1664, the land was purchased for a second time from the Native Americans by several planters from Barbados. The site was again abandoned as a result of war with the natives, disputes among the settlers, and a devastating hurricane in 1667.
Condition: This map is in B+ condition with original coloring. There is some minor breakage from the green pigment along the Copper River and some browning of the paper along the right margin that does not come close to the image.
1932 S. Halsted St. #200 Chicago, IL 60608 | P: (312) 496 - 3622