By: Gabriel Nikolaus Raspe
Date: 1760 (Published) Nuremberg
Dimensions: 9 x 14.25 inches (22.9 cm x 36.2 cm)
This scarce map shows the plan of the British Fortress of Madras in the eighteenth century. It was published in Raspe’s 'Schau Platz des gegenwaertigen Kriegs' (Plates illustrating the Current Wars).
Originally founded in 1640 as Fort St George, Madrass became a target for the French during the Seven Years’ War, and in December 1758 the French army laid siege to the fort under the command of Comte de Lally. Lally failed to take the fort, and when the British arrived in masse, he withdrew his forces, which proved a turning point in the war for India. Lally was a prisoner of war in England for five years following which he was executed for his failures.
The title cartouche in the lower right quadrant contains names and descriptions of the buildings and fortifications illustrated in the map.
Condition: This scarce map makes a strong impression of the fortifications of Fort Madrass. It is hand colored in A condition. Stitch holes in left margin.
1932 S. Halsted St. #200 Chicago, IL 60608 | P: (312) 496 - 3622