By: S.M. Kerns
Date: 1906 (dated) Washington D.C.
Dimensions: 25.5 x 19.25 inches (64.75 x 49 cm)
This is an early U.S. coast and geodetic survey of Ni'iahu published in 1904 under the direction of Surveyor General, W.D. Alexander. The map depicts the lonely island and its neighboring island and State Seabird Sanctuary of Lehua in very little detail. Geologically speaking, Niihau is the oldest island as the Pacific tectonic plate slowly moves the Hawaiian Islands west by northwest across a hot spot that slowly produces them through a continuous upwelling of magma which can be observed as lava flows on the Big Island, also known as Hawaii.
Ni'ihau is also known as the "Forbidden Island." It was originally purchased by Elizabeth Sinclair in 1864 for $10,000 from the Kingdom of Hawaii. The private ownership of Ni'ihau has since passed on to her descendants, the Robinsons. Up until 1987, it was entirely off-limits to all outsiders except the Robinson family and their relatives, U.S. Navy personnel, government officials, and invited guests. Since 1987, the island has opened to a limited number of tourists for supervised eco-tours and hunting excursions.
Ni'ihau was the site of controversy during WWII when following the attack on Peal Harbor, a Japanese fighter pilot crashed on the island and was rescued and aided by Japanese residents who were at the time unaware of the attack. It was an incident that gave support to Japanese Internment Camps in both Hawaii during the War.
Condition: This folding map was flattened and linen-backed for preservation and presentation purposes. There are a few areas of fold separations found in the lower left.
1200 W. 35th Street #425 Chicago, IL 60609 | P: (312) 496 - 3622