Nouvelle Carte de France Belgique, Bords du Rhin, Suisse
A Soldier’s Things… Mr. Elmer A. Wright, Company A 12th Engineers
Map By: A. Taride
Date: 1917 (circa) Paris
Dimensions: 24 x 35.5 inches (61 x 90 cm)
This is a unique collection of a WWI era map of France with annotations and a collection of memorabilia once belonging to Mr. Elmer A. Wright of the Company A, 12th Engineers.
According to the memorabilia, map, and a personal letter, we can deduce that Mr. Wright was an engineer who spent time in service to the United States Military in Northern France with stops in Paris and Versailles in 1918. The map of France includes annotations by Mr. Wright, a ship route from Southampton, England to Boulogne traced in pencil, and several roads extending from that region outlined in pen. At some point, Elmer Wright spent time in an American Red Cross hospital in New York City, where his service in WWI likely came to an end.
The collection of memorabilia includes the following items.
- Business card for an industrial manufacturer of war supplies
- Business card for a restaurant located at the former Leconte house in Paris
- Postcard of the Grand Trianon in Versailles
- American Red Cross U.S. Debarkation Hospital No. 3 in New York City. A payout in the amount of $10 due to Mr. Elmer Wright.
- Typed personal letter to Elmer A. Wright from H.W. Clark of the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company in Atchison, Kansas, dated February 25, 1918.
- Unused Soldiers Record meant to chronicle time at war with pages for personal information, locations travelled, pictures, diary, promotions, and the final page titled “Homeward Bound.”
- Short Vocabulary of French Words and Phrases with English Pronunciation, 1917 edition. This particular piece includes three examples of pressed floral preservation that include a four-leaf clover and a lavender poppy flower.
Condition: The map is in A condition folded as issued with manuscript annotations by Mr. Elmer A. Wright in the top and left margin. The condition of all other items varies, but all may be handled with care.
Inventory # 12138
1932 S. Halsted St. #200 Chicago, IL 60608 | P: (312) 496 - 3622