Johnston Roberts and Storrs Add.
By: Elisha Robinson
Date: 1886 (dated) New York
Dimensions: 20.25 x 29.75 inches (51.5 x 75.5 cm)
A large scale map of part of the Chicago's Near North Side neighborhood from Chicago Avenue to Division Street, including the blocks bordering Wells Street, Franklin Avenue, and Market Street (now Orleans St.).
The map is color-coded by the most common type of building material such as brick (pink), wood (yellow), and stone (brown). Since this map was published after the great Chicago Fire of 1871, most the other buildings had been rebuilt with brick and limestone as opposed to wood. The large, bold numbers represent the "block number" and the smaller numbers differentiate individual lots from one another. Small numbers in a circle indicate the elevation of the street, two line side-by-side delineate sewer lines, and small circles with a cross denote the location of fire hydrants.
Many of the buildings shown are residential but several schools and churches are noted, including "North Division High School," "Pearson St. Public School," and "St. Josephs Royal Catholic Church and School. The map predates the elevated Brown Line commuter train which now runs north-south between Market Street (Orleans) and Franklin Street, and Walter Payton College Preparatory High School which now occupies blocks 11 and 14.
Condition: This map is in A condition with bright and bold color on relatively clean paper and original linen backing. Some damp-staining in the lower portion is apparent but not distracting from the overall appearance of map.
1932 S. Halsted St. #200 Chicago, IL 60608 | P: (312) 496 - 3622